Stepping Out And Standing Up For What Is Right.

Photo of Attorney Stephen R. Piper

Modify Your Divorce Agreement

Although you worked hard to earn the current divorce agreement, there is no way to ensure that the agreement will always reflect your future needs. When life changes, your divorce decree should also change with it. Unfortunately, this is easier said than done, but it is possible to modify a divorce agreement.

At The Law Offices of Stephen R. Piper, LLC, you can meet with me, Stephen Piper, a New Jersey attorney with more than 20 years of experience in family law. I know how to build strong cases for divorce modifications, and I also handle cases focused on protecting current agreements. By presenting the facts of a situation, I can help protect your best interests throughout a modification request.

When Does A Modification Qualify?

A spouse is not able to modify a divorce decree simply because they do not like the terms of the decree. There needs to be valid reasoning behind a modification request, with some examples of valid reasoning including:

  • A new job offer that requires relocation
  • A substantial change in income for either parent
  • An unplanned change in living arraignments
  • A child’s insistence on living with a particular parent
  • Major changes in work schedule

A spouse can request a change in a custody agreement, child support values, alimony payments or any other area of a divorce decree, but they need to prove the need for the modification before anything changes. Even if both spouses agree to a change, they will need to take the matter to court to make a change official, though this situation often is much easier than a contested modification.

Make Sure Your Divorce Decree Suits Your Life

If you need to change your divorce agreement because of a sudden life change or you need help protecting your current agreement, contact my firm for the help you deserve. Call 856-333-3586 or click this link to schedule your initial consultation at my Moorestown office today. The sooner you reach out to my firm, the sooner I can begin helping you.