Facing Criminal Charges?
We're Battle-Tested Ready
To Fight For You.

Schedule a Free Consultation

Child Custody and Visitation Lawyer in Burlington County, NJ

New Jersey Child Custody and Visitation Attorney Representing Parents in Camden County, Burlington County, Gloucester County, Cumberland County and Throughout South Jersey

Every parent has a fundamental right to parent his or her child.

At The Law Offices of Stephen R. Piper, LLC, we are all parents. We know that few things are more important during a divorce than ensuring that both parents have a continuing and important role in their children’s lives. Our legal team will fight for you and for the best interests of your children in child custody and visitation decisions.

If you are concerned about child custody and visitation issues, please contact The Law Office of Stephen R. Piper, LLC online or call us directly.

Types of Custody

In New Jersey, there are two types of child custody: legal custody and physical custody. The state presumes that parents will share legal custody of their children. This means both parents will share in making important decisions about the children’s education, health and general wellbeing. If one parent can prove that other parent is unavailable or unfit, he or she may be awarded sole legal custody.

Physical custody — sometimes called residential custody — refers to where the children live. If parents share physical custody, the children spend about the same time at each parent’s home. If the child or children spend less than two nights a week with one parent, that parent is considered the non-custodial parent. The custodial parent’s home is where the children spend most of their time.

Does the Mother Always Get Custody?

New Jersey child custody law does not give preference to men or women as custodial parents. Our goal is to get the most quality parenting time we can for you so that you can maintain and grow your relationship with your children.

How is Custody Determined?

The parents will create a plan for child custody and visitation. If they cannot agree, the court will create a parenting plan for them.

The court will consider the following factors in determining what is in the best interest of the children:

  • The parents’ ability to agree, communicate, and cooperate parenting issues
  • Each parent’s willingness to accept custody and any history of unwillingness to allow parenting time not based on substantiated abuse
  • The child’s interaction and relationship with parents and siblings
  • Any history of domestic violence
  • The safety of the child and either parent from physical abuse by the other parent
  • The preference of a child who is old enough to make an intelligent decision
  • The child’s needs
  • The stability of each parent’s home environment
  • The quality and continuity of the child’s education
  • Each parent’s fitness
  • How close the parents live to each other
  • The extent and quality of the time each parent spent with the child both before and since the separation
  • Each parent’s employment responsibilities
  • The ages and number of the children
  • How Much Visitation Time Will I Receive?

The parents or the court determine the amount of time the non-custodial parent spends with the children. Parents can develop any type of visitation plan they desire as long as it is acceptable to both parties and in the best interest of the child. While there is no standard format for visitation, often parents elect to have the child stay with the non-custodial parent every other weekend and one night during the week.

Putting the Children First

Family law attorney Stephen R. Piper helps his clients create parenting plans that will work for the children first and the parents second. Over the years, he has helped clients craft thousands of parenting plans that address a wide range of needs, goals and situations. For example, he regularly works with military personnel who often live far away and move frequently.

You will benefit from Mr. Piper’s years of experience in child custody and visitation. He will offer his best legal advice, based on years of experience, about the options to consider and the issues that may lead to conflict. He will tell you which approaches, in general, have resulted in lasting arrangements that work well for all involved. For example, if you or your former spouse have problems with punctuality, he may recommend that you include specific details about when and where your child is dropped off or picked up for parenting time.

Whether you need to determine, modify or enforce child custody and visitation orders, please contact us online or call us directly today.

From offices in Moorestown, New Jersey, family law attorney Stephen R. Piper represents clients in Camden County, Burlington County, Gloucester County, Cumberland County and throughout South Jersey, and in the Philadelphia area of Pennsylvania.

Why High Asset Divorces Must Be Handled Differently

Some divorces are simple. The couple shared minimal assets and there were no children present in the marriage. Other cases, however, can be more difficult to navigate. One of these is a high asset divorce. Read on to learn why certain types of divorce, including high assets ones, need to be treated differently. What is… […]

What to Do If You’re a Doctor Accused of a Crime

Being accused and convicted of any crime can have an effect on your current and future situation. Depending on the details of the crime, you may be sentenced to fines or jail time. If you currently have a professional license, like a medical license, your career may also be affected. Continue reading to find out… […]


The Law Offices of Stephen R. Piper

  • Free Consultation

    Contact the firm today to request your free consultation. Mr. Piper will fight tirelessly to
    defend you against your criminal charges.

  • Available 24/7

    We are available for free consultations,
    day and night.

  • Fully Confidential

    We will safeguard your privacy and protect
    your reputation.

Someone from our office will contact you.

Strawbridge Professional
Center of Moorestown
212 W Route 38, Ste 440
Moorestown, NJ 08057

Phone: 856-351-5335

Fax: 856-231-4447