Sex Crimes Defense Lawyer in South Jersey | Burlington County
Knowledgeable, Aggressive Criminal Defense Lawyer Fights Sex Crime Charges for Clients in Camden County and across Southern New Jersey
If you are facing charges relating to a sex crime in New Jersey, do not waste any time in choosing a dedicated and seasoned criminal defense lawyer to fight your charges. If you are convicted of sexual assault, date rape or child molestation, you may be facing a sentence of many years behind bars.
Further, a conviction for a sex crime will follow you for the rest of your life, impacting your ability to get a job and likely affecting your relationships. Being required to register with the Sex Offender Registry means there will be significant limitations on where you can live and work.
An experienced attorney can explore every possible strategy to have your sex charges dismissed or reduced. Contact The Law Office of Stephen R. Piper, LLC in Moorestown today to find out how Mr. Piper will protect your good name.
When Your Reputation is on the Line, Choose Stephen Piper to Fight Your NJ Sex Charges
The prosecution’s case when attempting to get a sex crimes conviction is based mainly on physical evidence and the accuser’s testimony. Mr. Piper knows this all too well; he spent many years as an Assistant Prosecutor handling sexual assaults and other sex crimes. He knows that it’s important to get all the facts and work swiftly to discredit all the evidence against you, including witness testimony.
If you or someone you know is facing NJ sex crimes, whether statutory rape or aggravated sexual assault, you need a hard-hitting defense lawyer who will conduct a thorough and complete investigation into the facts in your case. Since Mr. Piper knows how the state builds its cases regarding sex crimes, he can put that experience to work for you.
It’s critically important to understand the seriousness of your charges. Mr. Piper will answer all your questions and explain your options. He will negotiate with the prosecutor on your behalf when a plea bargain makes sense and fight for your freedom in court, when necessary.
Mr. Piper defends people against the following criminal sex accusations in New Jersey:
Criminal Sexual Contact: When someone uses force or coercion to have sexual contact, but the victim does not sustain serious personal injury, they may be charged with criminal sexual contact. This is a fourth degree crime and someone convicted of this charge could face up to 18 months in state prison. To be charged with criminal sexual contact, one of the following situations would have to apply:
- The defendant knew the victim was physically or mentally handicapped or incapacitated
- The victim was on probation, in prison or confined to a hospital so the aggressor has power over them at the time of the assault
- The victim is underage — between 16 and 18 years old — and is a blood relative of the defendant, or the defendant was supervising them at the time of the attack
- The victim is at least four years younger than the defendant and is between the ages of 13 and 16
Sexual Assault: This charge is similar to criminal sexual contact but includes sexual penetration. This second degree charge, punishable by up to 10 years in prison, would also apply if the defendant was at least four years older than the victim and the victim was younger than 13.
Aggravated Sexual Assault: This first degree crime is New Jersey’s most serious criminal sexual assault offense and carries a possible penalty of up to 20 years in prison if the defendant is convicted. Prosecutors use this charge when they believe there is evidence of sexual assault (including penetration) and:
- Where the victim is age 16 or younger and when the defendant is a blood relative or has supervisory status including parent, guardian or caregiver (or)
- The assault takes place during the commission of another violent crime such as kidnapping, burglary, robbery, arson, or homicide (or)
- A weapon was involved in the commission of the crime and it was used or the defendant threatened to use it (or)
- The defendant receives help from others and there is physical force used in the commission of the sexual assault
- The sexual assault victim is mentally or physically handicapped or incapacitated
Other sex crimes charges in New Jersey include:
- Offensive Touching
- Date Rape
- Statutory Rape
- Criminal Sexual Contact
- Child Molestation
- Distribution or Possession of Child Pornography (sexting)
Talk to an Experienced Sex Crimes Defense Lawyer Today about Your Charges
A sex crimes conviction in New Jersey will follow you around for the rest of your life, making it difficult to get a good job, into school, obtain a loan, etc. This is because you will be forced to register as a sex offender and Megan’s Law makes that information public knowledge.
When your future is at stake, don’t trust just any lawyer to defend you against your sex crime charges. Stephen R. Piper is ready to fight for you. Contact him today for a consultation about your charges. We offer flexible scheduling options at our Moorestown law offices as well as offer off-street parking. Ask about flexible payment plans including credit cards.