Stepping Out And Standing Up For What Is Right.

Photo of Attorney Stephen R. Piper

How Long Does a DWI Conviction Stay on a New Jersey Record?

On Behalf of | Dec 6, 2019 | DWI Offenses, Firm News

dui lawyer willingboro nj

DWI Convictions in New Jersey

A driving while intoxicated (DWI) charge can affect you both legally and financially. In addition to the legal charges that you face, a DWI can also affect your ability to obtain employment or to attend an educational program. If you are facing DWI charges in the state of New Jersey, you might wonder how long it will stay on your record.

DWI charges remain on your record for life, but they are often only recognized for up to 10 years after the initial charge.

The Consequences of a DWI

A DWI charge can affect your life in more ways than the criminal charge. It may also affect:

  • Your employment options
  • Your ability to obtain an educational loan
  • Financial difficulties
  • Prison time
  • Ruling in additional criminal charges

A DWI is a serious offense that stays on your record for a minimum of 10 years in the state of New Jersey.

DWI Charges in New Jersey

It is important to note that while DWI charges do remain on your record in New Jersey, they are not added to a criminal record. This means that a DWI will not show up on a background check, unless the employer is specifically looking for DWI charges. Employers may look for this information if the position you are applying for requires driving or the use of a company vehicle.

Some positions, like government jobs, will look further into your record and may notice DWI charges. The details of the law are very complex and some regulations may allow you to prevent DWI charges from showing up on employment background checks. However, it is important to get ahead of the charge and plea in a way that allows for this.

What to Do If You are Facing DWI Charges in New Jersey

If you are facing DWI charges in New Jersey, it is important that you seek legal representation as soon as possible. The steps that you take now can affect your charges, as well as the impact of the DWI on your record. If your case involves complicated details, it is even more important to seek legal help.

Complicated DWI cases include:

  • Multiple DWI charges
  • Multiples criminal charges in one occurrence
  • Injuries of fatalities from driving under the influence
  • Blood alcohol content (BAC) level at the time of arrest
  • Current and future employment expectations

Going over these details with your DWI lawyer can help you understand the expected consequences while also evaluating your options. If you have multiple DWI’s on your record and are facing an additional charge, you could face more severe penalties and consequences. The state of New Jersey actually has minimum sentencing guidelines based on how many related arrests and charges are on your record, but these guidelines are reset after 10 years. If it has been more than 10 years since your previous arrest, then you may have additional options available.

Because your employment and financial future is on the line, it is important that you discuss your case with a DWI lawyer as soon as possible.

Contact an Experienced Burlington Township DWI Defense Attorney About Your Drunk Driving Charges in New Jersey

Have you been charged with a DWI or DUI offense in New Jersey? A drunk driving conviction could leave you with a permanent record, and it could result in your driver’s license being suspended for a very long time. That is why it is imperative that you speak with a qualified DWI defense lawyer about your case. The Law Office of Stephen R. Piper, LLC represent clients charged with drunk driving, breath test refusal, and related offenses in Evesham Township, Mount Laurel, Maple Shade, Burlington Township, and throughout New Jersey. Call 856-333-3586 or fill out our confidential online contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.